Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Why me?--- the great complaint of the constipated. Why doesn't the world work for me? The lonely sitting man in the porcelain machine. What did i do wrong yesterday? How can I begin anything new with all of yesterday in me? Unlock me! Exhausted Houdini! Lost ordinary magic! The squatting man bargains with god, submitting list after list of New Year's Resolutions. I will eat only lettuce. Give me diarrhea if I've got to have something. Let me help the flowers and dung beetles. Let me into the world club. I am not enjoying sunsets, then for whom do they burn? I'll miss my train. My portion of the world's work will not be done, I warn you. If sphincter must be coin let it be Chinese coin. Why me? I'll use science against you. I'll drop in pills like depth charges. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, don't make it tighter. Nothing helps, is that what you want me to learn? The straining man perched on a circle prepares to abandon all systems. Take hope, take cathedrals, take the radio, take my research. These are hard to give up, but a load of shit is harder still. How can I exist as a vessel of yesterday's slaughter? Is meat punishing me? Are there wild herds who think poorly of me? We are grooming beings to eat! Does God love the world? What a monstrous system of nourishment! Humans, the dietary nazis! Who will apologize to the cows? It's not our fault, we didn't think this whole thing up. Tomorrow I will begin my fast. I resign. But I can't resign with a full stomach. I would stink at an autopsy. Nobody wants to eat me i'm sure. I am the sealed, dead, impervious museum of my appetite. This is the brutal solitude of constipation, this is the way the world is lost.

excerpt from:
Beautiful Losers
by Leonard Cohen

4 Comments:

Blogger Joychaser said...

el brilliante......

6:31 AM  
Blogger rama said...

Hullo! Mark referred me to this blog. Look forward to coming by regularly. Best, rama

2:12 AM  
Blogger rama said...

Hullo again. I read some earlier posts. Great idea, for a good loo guide. Long ago, a friend and I had discussed the various places in Calcutta where vone could get a "good loo" if the need ever arose. We also thought of compiling a list / map. (Later, while developing content for the briefly-lived Calcutta website, calmanac, I thought of bringing out a book called "Calcutta Underground", listing where one could get what, underground things that it.) I'm quite closely connected to loos, having worked to eliminate service latrines (khata paikhana) from slums in Howrah. Unfortunately, thanks to the corruption in the Howrah Corporation, the work was closed. Anyway, very glad to find your blog. All strength to you! Best, rama

2:23 AM  
Blogger the [R]etard said...

this is beautiful...

like everything else he write

heh

2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home